Re: It's Huntin' Season

On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 12:16:06PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:

> The reason we've been so poor at this, is that for some reason it's become
> taboo for anyone except the package's maintainer to make uploads. There
> is no good reason for this, and there are many reasons against it.

As I understood it, the first order of business was fixing the bugs in base,
followed by standard.  I imagine that I'm not the only one that has been
deterred from making an NMU by these notices:

http://base.debian.net/

These are bugs in the base system. Since these are important packages,
please do not make NMUs. Instead, send patches or valuable comments to the
BTS.

http://standard.debian.net/

These are bugs in standard and in the task packages. Since these are
important packages, please do not make NMUs. Instead, send patches or
valuable comments to the BTS.

For the case where the fix is obvious or there is a patch in the BTS, this
means/meant that nothing will/would get done until (unless) the maintainer
acts/acted.

> As of now this is no longer the case. Non-maintainer uploads of packages
> are *okay*. If you're not uploading new versions of your package when
> improvements become available in a timely manner, don't act surprised if
> someone else does.

Well, alright then.  I suggest that someone fix the above pages (there is no
email address attached to them, so i don't know who to contact).  I will be
busy fixing bugs.

--
 - mdz