schemers: please support slib

Package: slib
Version: 2d2-1
Severity: normal

[Cc:ed to debian-devel, as I really don't know how to set X-... in
mozilla. And please Cc: me as I'm not subscribed to debian-devel.]

Slib is currently unusable for most of the Scheme implementations
available in Debian. For example,

After copying DrScheme.init in place,

% mzscheme
Welcome to MzScheme version 103, Copyright (c) 1995-2000 PLT (Matthew Flatt)
> (require 'fluid-let)
call-with-output-file: cannot open output file: "/usr/lib/plt/slibcat"
(Permission denied; errno=13)

solution 1:

Slib should not output to file under /usr/lib. The corresponding code is
in slib/mklibcat.scm,

mklibcat.scm:(call-with-output-file (in-vicinity
(implementation-vicinity) "slibcat")

A suitable place is maybe somewhere under /var/lib, say
/var/lib/slib/{scheme,implementations,names}-slibcat

This solution needs modification of slib code. And users still need to
copy /usr/share/slib/init/{scheme,implementations,names}.init to the
proper place.

solution 2:

scheme implementation packages should deal with installed slib package
in their postinst. For example, to generate slibcat with a debconf
dialog etc.

But what is user install slib later?

Any comments are welcome!

Thanks,