Re: Spam (Re: Urgent Investment)

On Sat, Jan 26, 2002 at 11:23:01PM +0100, J?r?me Marant wrote:

> Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> writes:
>
> > On Sat, Jan 26, 2002 at 02:24:24AM -0600, Michael Stroucken wrote:
> >
> > > 	Given that spammers are increasingly targetting mailing lists,
> > > is there an example of a list having effective control measures to combat
> > > this?
> >
> > The only measure that seems to work is restricting list postings to
> > subscribers only.  Unfortunately, this is also a major inconvenience for
> > those who use the list legitimately.
>
>   ... unless you find a mailing list manager that can associate many email
>   addresses to a single user. Because, the reason why it is open currently
>   is that one can subscribe with a given address, the one which receives
>   mails, but can write with many others though.
>
>   PS:I would like to see this feature in Sympa I do maintain.

There are ways to do this...for example, the some lists maintain two mailing
lists, X and X-post.  Only addresses subscribed to X actually receive list
traffic, but any address subscribed to either X or X-post can post.  So
users who post with multiple addresses can subscribe them to X-post only.

--
 - mdz