Re: WTF is with dhcp?

Hi Tomas,

On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 08:30:04PM +0100, Tomas Pospisek's Mailing Lists wrote:

> > - Inability to specify what interfaces the dhcpd daemon should listen to.
> >
> > To solve these two I want to get rid of the run_dhcp variable altogether,
> > and use /etc/default/dhcp to declare the interfaces dhcpd should
> > listen to.
>
> Umh ... why not leaving it the way it is and use /etc/netowrk/interfaces
> instead as you're doing now? I really do like that way of doing things
> now... ;-)

Yes, the ifup/ifdown mechanism is pretty, isn't it? :-)

The interface information I am planning to put in /etc/default/dhcp
is different than the one in /etc/network/interfaces. The former is
used to tell the DHCP server (dhcpd) what interfaces it should listen
to for DHCP requests from DHCP clients. The later is used to configure
the interfaces the system has.

You don't necessarily want your DHCP server to listen on all your
interfaces. For example, if you have two Ethernet interfaces you might
want to run your DHCP server on one of them to serve and internal
network (you tell the DHCP server to listen to this interface in
/etc/default/dhcp, but you also need to configure the IP address of this
interface in /etc/network/interfaces), and you might want to configure the
second Ethernet interface as a DHCP client so you can get an IP address
from your broadband ISP (you configure this in /etc/network/interfaces.)

I don't know if I made myself clear (the above paragraph looks rather
complex now that I read it again) but the point is that the current
behavior of the DHCP client does not change (you still configure DHCP
interfaces in /etc/network/interfaces.) What changes is the way you
configure the interfaces the DHCP server will listen to (before, this
was one of the biggest complaints: people had to hack /etc/init.d/dhcp
to configure the dhcpd interfaces.)

Cheers,

Eloy.-