conf-files diff

hi all,

probably not unlike many others, i tend to roll my own named.conf for
bind, my own main.cf for postfix, and several other daemons are also
configured by hand.

every time a (dist-)upgrade updates one of the daemons, it'll ask me
whether i want to overwrite my conf-file. i always choose 'no'
(obviously), but not after inspecting the diff output very carefully.
after all, i want to be informed about new config file options, changes
to the defaults, and other such stuff.

however, a diff of the debian conf-file versus my own is usually quite
confusing. if i had a version of the debian conf-file from the previous
package, that would be much easier.

would you deem it appropriate to think about a unified format to specify
the changes to the debian config files? i was thinking about simply
including a diff from the previous version, but that wouldn't work for
people who skip a release and update 1.0 -> 1.2 instead of 1.0 -> 1.1 ->
1.2. maybe a separate changelog file for conf-files? or the enforced
rule to include such things in the debian changelog. for instance, i
could find no information on bind9's (Debian) default change for the
auth-nxdomain option, which went from yes to no somewhere in the 9.1 ->
9.2 transition.

any thoughts?

click the start menu and select 'shut down.'