Re: Vanishing /usr/doc symlink

Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> >>"Joey" == Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> writes:
>
>  Joey> Can you even guarantee that all the postinsts in Debian will deal
>  Joey> correctly with a missing /usr/doc? That code path has not had much
>  Joey> testing.
>
> 	I think it is reasonable to expect a package to be able to do
>    rm -rf  /usr/doc/$package; ln -s ../share/doc/$package /usr/doc/$package
>  in current policy.

How can that be reasonable? It assumes that /usr/doc exist, but
current policy does not say anywhere that /usr/doc should exist.
Unless the package includes /usr/doc itself or creates it (in which
case it would be a bug), no, I don't think it's reasonable to assume
that /usr/doc should exist.

> 	When writing standards documents, and policies, you need to
>  not just care for the most common case and ignore the outliers.

The common case are those who use debhelper :-) The outliers are those
who cut and pasted from the policy manual (13.4 Accessing the documentation)
to write their postinst and prerm.

I would be very surprised to see a package assuming /usr/doc to exist
which has not received a bug because of it yet.