Re: [kde] setting an /opt precedent

>>"Jim" == Jim Gettys <jg@pa.dec.com> writes:

 Jim> The project has to be able to have more than one environment installed
 Jim> simultaneously, both for development, and for users, *SINCE IT JUST ISN'T
 Jim> of these projects is such there is no other way forward, but to enable
 Jim> both versions to be used side by side, possibly simultaneously.

	Why is this not an issue of backwards compatibility with their
 installed based not a problem to ber solved by these projects? Why
 isn't versioning of interfaces an integral part of their protocol?
 This is a solved problem (DCE RPC solved it before Linux was born,
 really, for one example).  I see this as users having to work around
 lack of design and due care for compatibility from the projects.

 Jim> So somehow, some way, you need to be able to have more than one
 Jim> version of the applications available so that users can choose
 Jim> how much they are going to bleed (and similarly, libraries, header
 Jim> files, etc).

	Unless the projects can figure out compatibility issues, I
 guess so.

 Jim> So, if you don't like /opt, then make a concrete suggestion to KDE
 Jim> (and something similar may need to happen for Gnome) about where to
 Jim> put things, rather than whining about FHS and the proper uses of /opt.

	I see. Standards compliance is whining. Lets just up and throw
 away policy while we are at it, and have everyone reinstall from
 scratch like microsoft does.

 Man invented language to satisfy his deep need to complain. Lily