Re: [kde] setting an /opt precedent

On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 11:26:08PM +0200, Eray Ozkural (exa) wrote:
> On Thursday 17 January 2002 23:11, Jeff Licquia wrote:
> > Somehow, I doubt that was the intended meaning of the FHS.
>
> I see. However, it is not very clear whether that phrase has any meaning. If
> it's going to be practically impossible for distributions to install files in
> /opt, why is it allowed in the first place? If it's going to be possible for
> a local system administrator to form his own packages under various
> /opt/<package> then why isn't a location in /usr/local adapted for this
> purpose? Who is going to maintain the packages under an /opt/<package>?
> System software or the local administrator? That paragraph doesn't seem to be
> consistent at all, and it isn't a good division of responsibility.

We can't touch what an admin puts there without violating the FHS. I
don't think that typing "apt-get install kde" is explicit assent,
because we haven't asked the user a question like: "Hi, just calling to
say that we're going to stomp all over your installation in /opt! Cool?
(y/n)".

It's even less cool because we do what no other Debian package has ever
done - install to /opt. Remember that principle of least surprise I told
you about a while ago?

Don't mess with it.

--
Daniel Stone						    <daniel@sfarc.net>
<Alias> Wait, I have something for you all