Re: pcmcia-modules in woody

Adrian Bunk <bunk@fs.tum.de> wrote:

> BTW: It's _extremely_ ugly to build these binary pacakges in a way that a
>      "dpkg-buildpackage -B" doesn't rebuild them all.

Welcome to the real world.  Considering that to build these packages,
one needs not only a copy of the kernel source, but a fully *configured*
copy of the kernel source, supporting dpkg-buildpackage is tricky
business at best.

Note, however, that if the kernel source trees have been properly set
up and the KSRC and KPATH environment variables are defined to point
at these directories, then "dpkg-buildpackage -B" does indeed rebuild
them all.  What you meant to say is that using "dpkg-buildpackage -B",
without properly setting up the system first, doesn't rebuild them all.

The only way to automate this further is to *force* the kernel-image
packages to build the corresponding pcmcia-modules packages, since
they contain everything needed to do so.  All that is required is an
additional build-dependency on the pcmcia-source package, which can
be unpacked (in a similar way that many of these packages unpack the
kernel source from a binary kernel-source package) and the appropriate
instructions given to make this source build the pcmcia-modules package,
probably using "make-kpkg".  In fact, I think that a couple of the
kernel-image package have already been set up to do this.

Another way to do this would be to provide a minimal set of sources
for the pcmcia-modules packages to perform this task.  While this is
possible, I don't recommend it, since IMO, this job is better and more
efficiently performed by the kernel-image source itself.

Of course, you might be able to suggest something that I have
overlooked.

- Brian