Re: Help with configure failure on ia64 [ogle: misdetect libxml2 version]

Hi Joe,

On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 08:42:51PM -0500, Joe Drew wrote:
> > This often indicates that the configure script is trying to run a small
> > test program and the test program is seg faulting at run time.
>
> Which is exactly the case here, but I'm not sure why: after looking into
> it, gcc gives warnings on a couple of lines (pointer to integer
> assignments), but those lines contain char* to char* assignments (in
> configure - actually, the particular lines mentioned are comments, but I
> assume there's an off-by-one bug.). In short, I'm stumped.

See my other mail. The problem lies in converting the return value of
strdup. They forgot to include string.h, therefore strdup is expected
to return an int which it does not do. Therefore the conversion
make a pointer (8 byte) from an int (4 byte) which is a part of that
pointer. IOW: The address is mangled, there you go -> SIGSEGV.

Greetings

	Torsten