Re: Installed wajig 0.2.11-1 (i386 source)

On Thu, 10 Jan 2002, Malcolm Parsons wrote:

> There is no point byte compiling during package creation, as every time
> the python2.{1,2} packages are upgraded, every .py file is byte
> compiled again anyway:
>
> python2.2.postinst:
>         for i in $DIRLIST ; do
>             /usr/bin/python2.2 -O /usr/lib/python2.2/compileall.py -q $i
>             /usr/bin/python2.2 /usr/lib/python2.2/compileall.py -q $i
>         done

That's a bug in python2.{1,2} then.  What's the point of having a platform
neutral 'compiled' version of a script if the format changes every time the
wind changes direction?

> It's also a waste of archive space, bandwidth, etc.

Make it separate debs then.  Also, look at how java is done.  The source files
are not shipped.

> As I upgrade over a modem, making packages the useful part of a package 4
> times smaller is IMHO a very good idea.

This should be done right, which means compiling at package build time.