RE: .dsc not generated during package build?

> > Whilst building my package, I get (from dpkg-dev 1.9.18, debhelper
> 3.0.51):
>
> What command did you run to do this?  What you probably meant was
> dpkg-buildpackage.

I did use dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot

Here's more of the log:

if test -d build -a build != source; then rm -f -r build; fi
 dpkg-source -b icu
dpkg-source: warning: source directory `./icu' is not
<sourcepackage>-<upstreamversion> `icu-2.0'
dpkg-source: building icu in icu_2.0-1.tar.gz
dpkg-source: building icu in icu_2.0-1.dsc
 debian/rules build

but the icu_2.0-1.dsc is not created at all.

If I go to a properly named directory (my mistake; I have a properly named
icu-2.0 and a symlink icu -> 2.0/icu-2.0 to get there, and usually work from
the symlink; somehow the scripts see the name icu, not icu-2.0 after I cd'ed
there w/ zsh) then it works:

if test -d build -a build != source; then rm -f -r build; fi
 dpkg-source -b icu-2.0
dpkg-source: building icu in icu_2.0-1.tar.gz

So why is dpkg-source just issuing a warning instead of failing if it really
cannot do anything? Is it looking at $CWD instead of finding out the real
location (zsh messes up w/ $CWD).

YA