Re: packaging spambouncer - cronjob updates in /usr???

On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 05:31:28PM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
> if i package spambouncer so that a configurable cronjob obtains updates
> on the anti-spam rules and databases from the spambouncer website, then
> the files can't remain in /usr, right?

Are you sure you want to do this?  What about all those people who
filter with spambouncer, but are dial-up users?  You need to either
have your job run when a PPP link is up, or ask the user if he's on a
LAN/has direct access to the Internet before doing this.

> the primary candidate for installation of spambouncer is
> /usr/share/spambouncer, but /usr/lib/spambouncer might be better. in any
> case, since /usr should be ro-mountable, these files should really be
> sitting in /var/lib, right? that would mean that the entire "program"
> sits in /var. is this acceptable?

It isn't really a program, just a collection of filters, which are
non-binary (thus, you'll only need to have a package which is
Architecture: all).  I'd say that if you rely on a method to update
your spambouncer definitions that ensures you that /usr is mounted,
you'd have no problem putting it on /usr/share/spambouncer/ like
procmail-lib does.

That's just my opinion, though, and I might be wrong :-)

--
 _ _  _| _  _  | _   . _ | _   to hell with icq, use jabber!
(_(_|| |(_)_)  |(_|\/|(_)|(_|  THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK?