Re: at least 260 packages broken on arm, powerpc and s390 due to wrong assumption on char signedness

On 04-Jan-02, 09:09 (CST), Jim Meyering <jim@meyering.net> wrote:

> If every system had up-to-date, standards-conforming
> ctype.h support, we wouldn't have to worry much at all.
> But even these days, pretty many systems with buggy macros
> are still in use.

Then fix those systems. Pull the necessary stuff out of glibc and use
it rather than the system headers/libc.

> FYI, as far as I know, the most portable way to use
> the ctype macros is to define wrapper macros
> (e.g., like those below, from fileutils/src/sys2.h)
> and then use only the wrappers (upper-case names) from your code.

<rant>
What an abomination. I spent way too much of my youth doing crap like
this. I'm tired of it. The standard has been in place for 12 fscking
years. If the vendors aren't going to support it, then those systems
are dead. I've better things to do with my time than make ugly code to
support systems that haven't been upgraded for over a decade.
</rant>

Steve

--
Steve Greenland