Re: how to move a config file during package upgrade

On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 03:17:09PM +0100, Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> Previously Thomas Lange wrote:
> > my package fai will have a new location for its configuration file
> > /etc/fai.conf. The next version will use /etc/fai/fai.conf. How can I
> > handle this in a preinst script during an upgrade ? Any examples would
> > be fine.
>
> Move it in the preinst.

Approximately:

(new-version is the first version which uses /etc/fai/fai.conf)

preinst:
	case "$1" in
		upgrade)
			version=$2
			if dpkg --compare-versions "$2" lt new-version && test -f /etc/fai.conf; then
				mkdir -p /etc/fai
				mv /etc/fai.conf /etc/fai/fai.conf
			fi
			;;
	esac

If there is other preinst code which could fail, add:

postrm:
	case "$1" in
		abort-upgrade)
			version=$2
			if dpkg --compare-versions "$2" lt new-version && test -f /etc/fai/fai.conf; then
				mv /etc/fai/fai.conf /etc/fai.conf
			fi
		;;
	esac

So that if things go wrong, the user is not left with a broken installation.

--
 - mdz