Re: [Evms-devel] EVMS: shared libraries with unversioned sonames

On Wed, 2 Jan 2002, Kevin Corry wrote:

> What if we used libevms.so.x as the soname, and libevms-x.y.z.so as the
> filename for the library (where x is the version major number, y is minor,
> and z is patchlevel)? This seems to be common on many of the libraries on my
> system.
>
> Basically, we don't want to force the user-interfaces to  to be recompiled on
> every minor change to the engine core that doesn't change any of the external
> APIs. We only intend to change these APIs across a major version change. At
> most, new APIs may be added, but existing ones (and their defined
> functionality) will remain the same. Having the soname include only the major
> number means the existing binary user-interfaces could be used if a new minor
> or patch-level version of the engine library appears.

So, when you need to make an incompatible change, what would you do?  There is
no version in the SONAME, so you are SOL(shit, out of luck).

The SONAME *MUST* has a version encoded into it.  Otherwise, I would rather
see this library NOT included in debian, no matter how good it is, or what it
does.