Re: devfsd and pty's

On Fri, 30 Nov 2001 22:19, Thomas Hood wrote:
> Sean Hendershot wrote:
> > This morning I upgraded devfsd to 1.3.19-1 (curent version in sid)
> > and now I cannot open any xterms.
>
> I have the same problem.  Can't open xterms or gnome
> terminals.  However I _can_ open "konsole"s.  Odd.
>
> Will now install new devfsd.

xterm will SEGV when it can't open /dev/pts/whatever.

konsole will try /dev/ptyp[0-9a-z] then /dev/ptyq[0-9a-z] until it gets to
/dev/ptyoz before giving up.  I think this is buggy, shouldn't it be only
trying /dev/pty[p-za-e][0-9a-f] ?  But in any case konsole won't segv and
after some large amount of time on my system it returns after displaying an
error message.

If you have /dev/ptyp* existing then konsole should work even after
"chmod 0 /dev/pts" (or something equally stupid).

If you have no /dev/ptyp* then it should eventually exit with an error
message (which is probably sent somewhere you won't see it - unless you
launch konsole from an xterm).

I have reported this as a bug in xterm.