Re: python>=2.1 issues

* Matthias Klose <doko@cs.tu-berlin.de> [011110 09:39]:
> Baruch Even writes:
> > LyX is being conflicted in the python package, I've asked about that and
> > was told that this conflict will be removed and received an incomplete
> > explanation, something about non-version dependency.
>
> why not re-asking, if the explanation was incomplete?

I'm not the maintainer and don't like to bitch and annoy, my wording
above is poor, I'm sorry if I hurt any feelings.

> > To the best of my knowledge LyX only needs python 1.5.2 and since it's
> > the minimum version everywhere there is no real reason to do any
> > dependency.
>
> lyx only uses python for some scripts and does not compile any python
> modules. Therefore, the unversioned dependency is correct. If a
> package contains python modules, which get compiled, or if the package
> depends on features available in one version only, the package must
> depend on a specific python version.

Ok, but why won't you upload a new package to fix this conflict? I can
probably talk with the maintainer to upload a new package (or that I'll
do an NMU) but the bug is in the python package and not in LyX.

--
Baruch Even
http://baruch.ev-en.org/