Re: DevFS and "c00lness" (Re: Grub)

(PLEASE RESPECT THE MAIL-FOLLOWUP-TO HEADER!)

On Thu, Nov 08, 2001 at 09:00:32AM +0100, Russell Coker wrote:
> > Nor "ls -l /dev". What's your point?
>
> Actually you often need to do "ls -l /dev" to see what devices exist and what

Actually, I usually do something a bit more focussed like
ls -l /dev/hd* or /dev/ttyS* or similar. Just listing /dev
isn't that useful.

> with no disk space and a huge file named /dev/st or similar?  How about the
> file /dev/nul that you get when DOS weenies are allowed access to the root
> account?

I don't have that problem.

In summary: I haven't seen any good reason to upgrade any of my boxes
to devfs. If it becomes standard in new Debian installations I
would keep it though. There doesn't seem to be particularly
compelling reasons either for or against.

cheers
Hamish