Re: Grub

On Tue, 6 Nov 2001, Daniel Stone wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 06, 2001 at 01:20:45PM +1100, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > Daniel's example was made much more extreme by using an extremely
> > long devfs path to his root partition, while root=/dev/hda3
> > would have worked just as well. Still, I suppose it is much
> > c00ler.
>
> It has nothing to do with c00l. It has everything to do with real life.
> I have a machine at work which has that exact line in its GRUB config. I
> use heavily patched kernels (and version them appropriately so I can
> figure it out), and also use DevFS, because non-DevFS is a piece of
> crap.

Feel free to make your own life miserable if you so must, but 2.4.x
kernels do accept "old" style partition names in their arguments, even if
you use DevFS.

And symlinks usually work. Unless you're using 2.4.11, that is ;-)

(Then again, GRUB doesn't care whether the kernel is broken. It just boots
it...)

--
wouter dot verhelst at advalvas dot be

"Human knowledge belongs to the world"