Re: Read-only /usr

On Sun, Nov 04, 2001 at 04:27:49AM -0500, Alex Pennace wrote:
> A simpler solution would be to hard link everything in the first half,
> and run stat on each link in the cubby directory in the second half,
> unlinking those entries with just one link.

That wouldn't do anything useful, though (like allow you to remount /usr
ro).

On Sun, Nov 04, 2001 at 12:27:51AM -0900, Ethan Benson wrote:
> simplest way to deal with it is run lsof +L1 after an upgrade and
> kill/restart all offending processes.

Oh, well, that too, obviously.

> in which case you will have an increasing supply of cruft as time goes
> on? especially if reboots happen less then every 8 monthes.

The cruft is there anyway, it just doesn't have a file name. Once the
processes die, the cruft'll be cleaned up on the next apt-get run,
not just the next reboot.

Of course even if you don't have philosophical objections, the scripts
aren't particularly time or space efficient, either, more so during
upgrades rather than after.

Cheers,
aj

 "Security here. Yes, maam. Yes. Groucho glasses. Yes, we're on it.
   C'mon, guys. Somebody gave an aardvark a nose-cut: somebody who
    can't deal with deconstructionist humor. Code Blue."
		-- Mike Hoye,
		      see http://azure.humbug.org.au/~aj/armadillos.txt