Re: RFC: SDL and X static extension libraries re-revisited

In message <[🔎] 20011101144634.E30743@deadbeast.net>, Branden Robinson writes:
>On Thu, Nov 01, 2001 at 08:15:49PM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
>> Change policy so that static libraries that aren't available as shared
>> libraries must be compiled  with "-fPIC" (and other static libraries
>> still mustn't be compiled with "-fPIC").
>
>Why bother when a -pic package can be created to serve this function?
>
>See libc6-pic for precedent.  Your proposal is more disruptive to
>existing packages than mine.

True enough, though your proposal might place more of a burden on future packagers of SDL-using (or libiberty-using, or whatever) applications and libraries.  I'm not totally sure it's reasonable to expect these people to know about the -pic packages and fix their configury to make use of them.

Personally, I remain strongly of the opinion that those architectures which are unable to tolerate non-PIC code in shared objects should just fix their dynamic loaders and be done with it.

p.