Re: RFC: SDL and X static extension libraries re-revisited

On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Branden Robinson wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 07:57:57AM +1100, Herbert Xu wrote:
> > Now every time your libraries' interface changes, sdl's soname will need
> > to be bumped.  Worse yet, unless sdl's maintainer actively tracks this,
> > it will not be done and we will end up with broken binaries.
>
> But SDL already has to do this anyway.  If libXxf86dga's interface
> changes, static or shared, it will probably break SDL.

Huh?  Yes, sdl's *code* will have to be changed to match the new interfaces in
the new .a x libs.  However, why would the soname need to change?  A change in
code does not always mean a change in soname.

SDL is a cross-platform api.  It should hide all platform specific issues.
And this includes the use of X libs, be they shared or static.  As long as an
application has been linked with a particular version of SDL, it doesn't
matter how SDL handles things behind the scenes.