Re: Darwin Streaming Server

* Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> [011101 12:37]:
> On Thu, Nov 01, 2001 at 12:23:31PM +0100, Michael Bramer wrote:
> > >
> > > The Debian Definition is base for the "Opensource.org" Definition. It is a
> >
> > AFAIK this is not correct.
> >
> > you should say:
> >  The "Opensource.org" Definition is base for the Debian Definition.
>
> No, it's the other way round, as Bernd said. You might be confusing this
> with "The Open Source Definition is based on the DFSG".

Yep. Additionally, I'd like to stress that the DFSG are called
free software *guidelines*, not *definition*. IMHO, this is a
fundamental difference of perspective: Guidelines gives you some
guidance to decide whether we consider a license free, while a
definition would have to be exact.

(Btw, IMHO that's a major problem of the OSD: The DFSG (which OSI was
starting with) was never meant to be a exact definition of free
software--it's much too vague in many aspects--but OSI pretended to have
an exact definition of free software, which they never had.)

    Gregor