Re: madison

On Sat, Sep 22, 2001 at 05:59:51PM +0100, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 22, 2001 at 04:44:46PM +0200, Admar Schoonen wrote:
> > I think it can be useful for those who want to create their own flavour of
> > Debian or want to (partially) mirror Debian. dpkg-scanpackages/apt-ftparchive
> > doesn't work very well for packages which are located in the pool, and the only
> > way to generate correct packagelists is to put all information from all packages
> > in a database and query that database when packagelists are generated; thus
> > people who want to partially mirror or create their own Debian-flavour should
> > create their own Debian database from information gathered from packagelists
> > which are downloaded by apt.
>
> Those people are going to want all of dak (katie) anyway, which
> contains madison. It's not packaged either, but is available from
> anonymous cvs at cvs.debian.org.
>
> However, the value of a package that would be used by about half a
> dozen people in total is probably not all that high.

I think that number might be higher. I'm thinking of companies building their
own Debian-based distribution, companies having their own (small) Debian mirror,
people (like me) who have a small Debian mirror at their laptop and update it at
work/school to upgrade the machines at home, people creating Live-cd's based on
Debian etc. For those people, such a package could be of pretty high value.

(And besides that, I think there are already rather 'low-value' packages in
Debian, eg, the very nice but rather useless kodo; YMMV though.)

Admar Schoonen