Re: Still no base tarball

On Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 12:26:08PM -0500, Nathan E Norman wrote:
> > > In which case you could use a script to generate the file, then split
> > > it onto the floppies (you're going to have to split it whether it's
> > > on the cd or not).
> > This assumes the machine down the hall is running Debian, or at least
> > something Unixy. If it's Windows only, you've got a tough time trying to
> > split it by hand, no?
> Uh, so you're saying the machine down the hall is a micros~1 box, but
> since it has a cd drive we can insert the debian cd and then share the
> 24 MB base tarball over the network somehow?

Actually, I was hypothesising that you'd put the CD in, run split
-b1400000 on base.tgz, copy the split images to the new machine by floppy
(or ZIP or whatever you've got), then reassemble them with cat into
/target somewhere convenient.

You could reasonably do this with a Unix machine, but probably not so
reasonably if you only had a Windows box. By contrast, if you had floppy
images on the CD, you could do an install in this scenario no matter
what OS was on the machine down the hall.

Cheers,
aj