Re: Proposal: new alternatives links

On 18-Aug-01, 07:07 (CDT), Anand Kumria <wildfire@progsoc.uts.edu.au> wrote:
> If you set Reply-To, like I have, to the destination where you'd like
> mail to be sent you have a greater chance of people respecting your
> preference.

That's not what Reply-To is for. The Reply-To address is for personal,
non-list mail. If I set Reply-To to the list address, then I encourage
inadvertant distribution of private mail to the list. Newsreaders have
long distinguished private "replies" from public "followups"; with the
decline of USENET as a useful discussion forum, and the increase in the
use of mailling lists, MUAs need to do likewise.

Steve

--
Steve Greenland <stevegr@debian.org>
(Please do not CC me on mail sent to this list; I subscribe to and read