Re: [OT] lazy maintainers

On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 11:21:27AM +0100, Peter Joseph wrote:

> Again Correct! it's disgusting that this thread has be swung around from
> a maintainer who really is neglecting their package without an upload
> for 17 months to the baseless implications that Myth is lazy. He wants
> crypto in main before more releases I beleive. A maintainer deciding
> what select versions to upload cannot be called lazy.

Guys, chill out a little on both sides, please.

It looks like:

1) Myth might be waiting for crypto to go into main before uploading;
2) There are people who *do* need a more recent mozilla right now;
3) There will be an indefinite wait before crypto goes into main.

That means that there is a problem, and flaming each other won't sort it
out.

Suggestions:
1) Find out for *sure* why Myth hasn't uploaded the version you want;
2) Decide how important it is that an up-to-date mozilla goes into woody
(IMHO, extremely important that an everyday-usable version for all major
archs gets in);
3) Find out how quickly the crypto issue will be resolved, and whether
this will happen for woody in any case...

I would guess that it is unlikely that the crypto-in-main thing will happen
for woody release (guess, not estimate ;)... if this is correct then a
workable version is required before crypto goes into main. If Myth is
unwilling or unable to upload such a version, then someone else will have to,
either as "mozilla" or as "mozilla-bleeding-edge" or whatever (I'm not
saying that having two packages providing mozilla would be a good idea,
I'm just saying that it's not all black-and-white).

So, how about everyone that feels this is important enough to flame each
other about gets all civilised and sorts it out without shouting at each
other?? ;)

Play friendly now...

Nick
--