Re: Release-critical Bugreport for August 3, 2001

> > This sort of thing seems to come up a lot in Debian, with releases delayed
> > due to builds failing on machines the maintainers have no obvious access
> > to. I really believe it is time to have a named package maintainer for each
> > architecture... if noone can be found for an architecture then the package
> > cannot be supported there!

Actually we do have folks who work mostly on porting issues. But with
thousands of packages any only a (much) smaller number of porters, we
can only do so much so fast...

> OK, I have looked and discovered that autoconf sees hppa as
>     parisc64-unknown-linux-gnu
> I downloaded 1.4 of config.guess and config.sub, and these report that
>     machine parisc64-unknown not recognised

tausq@paer:~/tmp$ cp /usr/share/automake/config.{sub,guess} .
tausq@paer:~/tmp$ ./config.guess
hppa64-unknown-linux-gnu
tausq@paer:~/tmp$ ./config.sub hppa64-unknown-linux-gnu
hppa64-unknown-linux-gnu

I suspect your config.{sub,guess} are still too old... where did you get
them from?

http://people.debian.org/~willy/common_bugs.html is a good place to look
as well.

randolph