Re: potato -> woody upgrade failure and locale* packages

At Tue, 07 Aug 2001 02:14:17 +0900,
Tomohiro KUBOTA <tkubota@riken.go.jp> wrote:
> The first solution is:
>   - remove locale-* packages from Woody.
>     (locale-{ja,ko} have been already disappeared from Sid.)
>     This is reasonable because these packages are not needed
>     (instead locales package is needed) in Woody.
>   and
>   - locales package to have
>        Conflicts: locale-ja, locale-ko, locale-vi, locale-zh
>        Replaces: locale-ja, locale-ko, locale-vi, locale-zh
>        Provides: locale-ja, locale-ko, locale-vi, locale-zh
>     This is reasonable because glibc-2.2 came to support these
>     locales, which was before realized by locale-* packages.

Is Provides needed? I think locale-* is harmful on woody,
so if some package depend on locale-*, such package should be
also removed from woody.

>   I think all four of locale-{ja,ko,vi,zh} packages are not
>   needed for Woody/Sid because:
>    - locale-{ja,ko} have been already removed from Sid.
>    - locale-vi_1-5 has Conflicts: libc6 (>= 2.1.94).
>    - locale-zh has Conflicts: libc6 (>= 2.1.94-1).

I fully agree.
And they must be removed from woody, because their data is
corrupted and have no compatibility under new libc.

-- gotom