ITP: Music123

Music123 is a small program I wrote myself. From the README:

This is music123 version 1 ('less' versioning system).

music123's goal in life is simple. With just mpg123 or ogg123,
there was no way to randomly play a mixed batch of ogg's and mp3's.
If you fed the wrong file to the wrong player, it would crash.
Worse yet, if you wanted to go all free and use mpg321 instead
of mpg123, it can't (at the time of this writing) randomly play
songs at all.

xmms could randomly play mixed ogg's and mp3's, but I'm frequently
not in X. I'm sure there's some ncurses solution out there, but
I like the mpg123/ogg123 interface - I just want something that
can handle mixed collections of files. So I wrote music123.

music123 has a similar interface to mpg123 and ogg123. It'll
play any type of file listed in its config file, the first found
of ~/.ogg123 or /etc/ogg123rc. The default config file includes
lines for mp3, ogg, wav and wav.gz.

music123 can be very slow, if you recurse into a large directory
with few music files. (It adds the files to a vector, but latter
removes them if they aren't recognized music files. O(N) behavior
to remove a file, and O(N) removals adds up to O(N^2) behavior.)
However, it's not slow in the usual case - it takes a second to
start playing a random selection from my music folder of 2,500
songs. (The half-second pause between songs is deliberate, so
music123 can be killed by Control-C.)

There are a couple features that I'd like to add - better option
handling, gettextization, and printing the song info without the
rest of the music player noise. But it works for me, so those
will have to wait for a latter version.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org, dvdeug@debian.org
Last change on mar Jul 31 23:25:22 CDT 2001

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
"The pig -- belongs -- to _all_ mankind!" - Invader Zim