Re: support for multilingual Packages files?

> (2) the future ideal Debian situation that should support not
> only UTF-8 locales but also all locales which the current Debian
> supports.  Even though I guess UTF-8 would be the only popular
> encoding in the world in ten years, it does not mean that we can
> force users to use UTF-8 locales.

I disagree. The future ideal Debian should support all the locales needed at
that point in time. If Latin 3 is no longer used in 5 years, then there's no
reason to try and include Latin 3 support, and any such support will likely
get bitrotten. If SJIS, ISO-8859-1 and UTF-8 are the only locales being used
in 10 years, then there's no point in trying to support the others, outside
of iconv and other stuff that has to deal with legacy encodings.