Re: "All packages use debconf"

On Sat, 21 Jul 2001, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:

> But let's make something clear: ONE CANNOT MODIFY CONFFILES IN MAINTAINER
> SCRIPTS.  EVER.  You can modify config files, but if you mark a config file
> as a conffile for dpkg, you must not touch it. Even if you ask the user.
> This is policy.  Either let dpkg handle it all, or do all the handling on
> your scripts.

What about debhelper V3 ? Isn't every file in /etc/ is marked as a conffile?

I've resorted to not shipping some files in /etc/ - and build/update them
*ONLY* via an exec to get around this... probably will do more similiarly -
but it wasn't a trivial exercise.  Would've been nice to ship an example,
and an exec that updated the file based upon debconf, user questions, etc.
--
Rick Nelson
Do people like check the Debian website every 5 minutes to check it hasn't morphed into another one?