Re: Outdated GNU config (config.{sub,guess}) and autotools-dev

On Sat, Jul 21, 2001 at 06:58:06PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:

> The "it is not wise to do such things automatically" topic has been brought
> up and beaten back, btw. Please use the search facility in lists.debian.org
> if you're curious.

How bold.  I am one of those against doing these things automatically,
and I don't remember anything that convinced me otherwise.  If it was
feasible to do it that way, we could just do it externally to the package,
in the autobuilders for example.  This would save almost everyone
the effort.  The reason not to do it either way are basically the same.

It also completely removes the benefit of the builder not needing the build
dependency on the relevant packages.  For this benefit, the upstream authors
of these tools go along way in compatible shell programming.

If either point has been "beaten back", I'd like to see a more specific
pointer than lists.debian.org.

Thanks,
Marcus