Re: support for multilingual Packages files?

On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 01:48:57AM +0100, David Starner wrote:
> From: Radovan Garabik <garabik@melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk>
> > well, not really... my intention was to provide both original
> > name (for non-latin scripts), and transacription into latin script
> > (not necessary ASCII), because, as you said, people all over the world
> > are expected to read latin script, but not any other.
>
> Really? I can't read arbitrary Latin script. I could muddle my way through

I can't often read even English when I encounter a word I do not know -
and I claim about myself that my English is "almost fluent" :-)

> Hiragana, Katakana, Cherokee (nice big Unicode book with characters named
> after their sound) or Cryllic (cheat sheet laying around somewhere here),
> but Latin outside English/German/Esperanto is just chicken scratch attached
> to English letters. You may as well transliterate it to ASCII, because all
> I'm going to get out of it. Arbitrary Latin no easier to read or type than

That was what I meant. The worst that happen is that you read it
omitting the diacritics. If the diacritics is not there, you are no
better on.

But with diacritics, people knowing the script can read it. If the
diacritics is not there, nobody can.

It is not about phonetic reading (think of german di- and tri-graphs,
and english speling in general). It is about getting the correct data
in Packages, and providing hints about it to people not
knowing the script.

(of course, the situation gets fuzzy with letters like edh and thorn -
should they be considered "latin" or not? But this is outside the scope
of this)