Re: FWD: Debian Swirl ascii-art

On Sun, 15 Jul 2001, Josip Rodin wrote:

>On Sun, Jul 15, 2001 at 11:42:02AM -0700, Joseph Carter wrote:
>> >  >I find it slightly scary that that displayed in color under mutt. DOes
>> >  >it allow arbitrary escape sequences through?
>> > Yes, but it is not supported and is known to interfere with normal
>> > coloring made by mutt itself.
>>
>> You are aware of the exploitability of passing raw escape sequences to a
>> terminal?
>
>What exactly can happen?

Have you ever heard of an ANSI bomb?  Through escape sequences, you can
redefine other escape sequences.

http://totse.com/en/viruses/virus_information/ab2.html

Shows some exploitation possibilities.  Baically, you can use the escape
characters to execute an alias command on localhost.  Most ANSI bombing
was done in DOS, so privileges weren't a big issue, but I assume that a
suitably obscene ANSI bomb could remap enough to screw a user over big
time: alias ls to rm -r for example.

--
Armageddon means never having to say you're sorry.