Re: support for multilingual Packages files?

On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 09:25:35AM +1000, Sam Couter wrote:
> Radovan Garabik <garabik@melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk> wrote:
> >
> > And besides... proper English _does_ have diacritics (naive being the most
> > often cited example, Pokemon perhaps more familiar today), just
> > those ignorant Americans <duck, run> do not realize it.
>
> Those words aren't originally English. They're adopted/adapted from other

well, it does not matter what was English like originally....
those words are here and it is impossible to evade using them,
since perhaps half of active vocabulary is of foreign origin.
(I once read an article in English using only original Germanic words -
it was _completely_ incomprehensible)

> languages. English uses the Roman alphabet, 26 letters only. In proper

No, Roman alphabet has only 22 letters.

> English, the funny marks over the vowels all disappear.

In _really proper_ English you have edh and thorn as well :-)