Re: support for multilingual Packages files?

On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 10:02:19AM -0500, Steve Langasek wrote:
> I think it would be nice to have support for full Unicode for maintainer
> names (my own last name properly falls into ISO-8859-2), but I think this
> should be done *in addition to* the regular Maintainer: field; e.g., we could
> have an optional Maintainer-utf8: field which allows for Unicode
> representations, but most tools would use only the Maintainer: field by
> default.

It strikes me as a bit of over-complication.
Moreover, non-ascii chars can appear elsewhere, not just in
maintainer's name (e.g. in package description)

If the user wants to choose between full utf-8 or plain ascii version,
dselect should be able to do the conversion (and, there is already
tool for that: filterm(1))

Or, better yet, when localized Packages are implemeted, one of the
localizations can be en_US.ASCII.

But the original Packages should be in one unified charset, and there
is really no other good choice than UTF-8.