Re: LSB specification of runlevels

John Hasler wrote:

> Theodore Tso writes:
>
> > This is stuff that most Debian developers take for
> > granted as second nature, and so they don't understand
> > why it's so hard to figure things out, just as most
> > Unix power users have no idea why rank novices have so
> > much trouble learning Unix from scratch.
>
> Some of us understand.  We just haven't been able
> to figure out what to do about it.

Well, usually what happens is Tim O'Reilly seeks out a guru
and convinces him to work on a book, which the O'Reilly team
refines and polishes and sells.  End users get a professional
introduction into the ins and outs of the subject that is
very readable, well organized, referenceable, and well worth
the investment.

So what's the story on "Learning Debian GNU/Linux" by Bill
McCarty, Sep 1999?  I scanned the online version at
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/debian/noframes.html and got
the impression it's a generic Linux for newbies book quickly
customized for Debian.  It spends no significant time
discussing why Debian vis-a-vis other distributions, which
strikes me as rather odd.  It's coming up on two years old
and needs updating.  Does anyone know if this is in the
works?  Has the community provided O'Reilly with
constructive criticism for the next edition?  And last, but
not least, should the community promote this publication?