Re: real LSB compliance

On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 11:39:00PM -0400, Sam Hartman wrote:

> The assertion that we will have all free software packaged in Debian
> is ludicrous; we may have much of it packaged, and we should work to
> package any that we do not have , but there may exist LSB free
> software not in Debian.  Particularly for fast-moving targets it may
> be better for our users to use LSB packages than native debs.

has EVERYONE forgotten what /usr/local is for?

non-packaged Free software install procedure 9 times out of 10:

./configure && make && su -c 'make install'

packaging is nice, but only when its done with great care, if not i
would FAR prefer make install and /usr/local to some crappy half baked
package.

and don't start with the `but /usr/local is hard to maintain and
clean!' if you think that then do the following instead:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/stow/package && make && su -c 'make \
	install; stow install package'

or however stow is called...

sheesh.

> developers to do the same.  I do agree that sacrificing implementation
> quality is a valid tradeoff and that we should not do so to support
> non-free software.

what?  you agree breaking our distribution for the sake of non-free is
acceptable?  i don't think the social contract says that at all, and
that does NOT serve our users.

> I believe that regardless of whether we have a non-free archive, our
> users will want to be able to install third party (both free and
> non-free) software on their machines.  I believe very much that

thats what /usr/local and /opt are for.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/