Re: real LSB compliance

On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 01:02:29PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> 	If you do things the same old way, I am quite certain things
>  will not be any different. However, there are ways of working with
>  Debian -- firstly, one can send a message to debian-policy and
>  debian-devel when the LSB is entering a review process. One can find
>  a volunteer to feed major proposed changes to the LSB to -policy and
>  -devel for comment.
>
> 	You need to realize that Debian is indeed different, and it is
>  unlikely to get a subset of people that can ``represent'' Debian in
>  something as far reaching as the LSB directives seem to be. Even your
>  example of the government was not on the mark, since we have not had
>  a fully participatory democratic government since the Greek city
>  states.
>
> 	If the LSB is interested in Debian ratification, it must need
>  make an effort to engage the whole project, not just get a few people
>  who also happen to be Debian developers,
>
> 	Of course the LSB project may decide this is too onerous a
>  task, and then we are left with the status Quo.

this really is the wrong attitude I think.

it is not a case of does LSB (and who is LSB anyway, it seems the same
argument could almost be applied to LSB as an entity as to debian as an
entity) want debian to be involved. The question is does the debian project
want to be involved iwth LSB, and if so people participating in the debian
project must actively take part in the LSB process on the LSB lists and such.

The onus is not on people participating in LSB to come onto the debian lists
and attempt to get us to take notice of them and talk with them. The onus is
on debian people to get onto the LSB lists and participate there.

If debian users are interested in getting Debian to be LSB conformant and in
making the LSB sensible, they must take part in LSB. This is up to the
individaul users and developers of debian on the whole, it is irrelevant if
the DPL or someone similar (members of hte CABAL through some assumed
alias.... :) say debian must be LSB conformant as that wont force developers
and users to participate in LSB or LSB to participate in debian, only people
who want it will make the effort. So do you want it?

        See You
            Steve

--
sjh@wibble.net http://wibble.net/~sjh/