Re: /var/samba -> /var/state/samba script

On 03-Jul-01, 15:54 (CDT), Nick Jennings <nick@namodn.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 12:29:53PM -0500, Steve Greenland wrote:
>   Correct, the samba package was "corrected" and the samba internal files
>   were moved from an incorrect /var/samba to a more correct /var/state/samba.

Yes, "more correct", but not correct. Appropriate possiblities are
/var/run (for the pid files), and /var/lib/samba and/or /var/cache/samba
for the rest, depending on what the files are.

>   The directory /var/samba is now free for keeping your shares on.

That's a good thing, if the admin so chooses.

> > The FHS says
> >
> >         "/var contains variable data files. This includes spool
> >         directories and files, administrative and logging data, and
> >         transient and temporary files."
>
>  variable information, includes files that can be upload/downloaded/removed.
>  In other words, /var/www, /var/ftp, /var/samba, etc. etc.

I interpet "variable data" differently than you do, I think. My
interpetation is data that is managed on my behalf by programs, like
news, the dpkg status info, lpd spools, etc. e.g. not files that I
create or (generally) access directly. That's an admittedly fine
distinction, as I wouldn't place a CVS repository under var, but am
quite accepting that mysql puts its databases there. I guess the
difference is that I type the complete path into 'cvs init', but not
when I create a DB.

>  Why do you think theres a special [homes] directive in the smb.con? it's
>  to serve files for the user in their home directory. Now why would you
>  logically make a home directory for samba-data? It doesn't make sense.

This doesn't follow, necessarilly: [homes] exists because otherwise
you would have to define each user's share, which would be insane on a
big system. OTOH, it uses the entry in /etc/passwd (or whatever), not
/home/username. (And I expect none of this is news to you :-)).

> > My opinion (FWIW, probably not much) is that web and ftp files don't
> > belong there. /home seems a better choice. As a practical matter, I can
> > be pretty sure packages scripts won't mess with stuff under /home.
>
>  /home is for user to store their personal files. and that's it. (It's quite
>  interesting to note that you didn't quote the FHS on that).

Sorry, didn't mean to be duplicitous, just didn't occur to me. I can quote
part of supporting (or at least not contradicting) my suggestion:

    "/home is a fairly standard concept, but it is clearly a
    site-specific filesystem.  The setup will differ from host to host."

:-)

But now that I've thought about it more, I don't like having it under
/home much either.

> Samba *does* provide a way for users to store files in home, and thats
> exactly what the [homes] directive is for.

Yes, and that's not what any of us are talking about.

The real answer is that none of this is standardized, and probably
doesn't need to be -- the particular needs of a particular site will
vary. . The important thing is that Debian programs don't step on user
setups. If the FHS or Debian was to specify /var/www (oh yeah, we did),
/var/ftp, and/or /var/samba, I certainly wouldn't object, so long as
they can be links...

Steve

--
Steve Greenland <stevegr@debian.org>
(Please do not CC me on mail sent to this list; I subscribe to and read