Re: harden distribution

On Mon, 2 Jul 2001 19:14:20 +0200
Richard Atterer <deb-devel@list.atterer.net> wrote:

> IMHO, both Stackguard binaries and optimized binaries fall under
> "special needs", additionally we simply cannot provide all
> *combinations* of these features as well - this justifies that
> installation of such a package takes a little more resources (because
> the compilation takes place on the user's machine).

You could throw binaries optimised for size (udebs) into this special needs catagory as well, they need to be compiled with -Os, maybe against uclibc instead of glibc, or even compiling staticly gainst some libraries is helpfull sometimes (c++).

I also think that with the number of architectures growing (which is one of the things that makes debian unique) it makes perfect sense to put more emphasis on users compiling from source, it makes the source more valuable.

I tried pentium builder the other day but couldnt get it to work... dunno why it seems simple enough.

I was thinking maybe there could be a control field for special build options, so if a binary is built optimised for k7 (for e.g.) it would be marked as such in the package thats been built.

Glenn