Re: real LSB compliance

On Sun, 1 Jul 2001, Joey Hess wrote:

> * They want LANA to assign names of init scripts, under the assumption, it
>   seems, that LSB init scripts should be able to have short and simple names,
>   while not conflicting with the names of any of the init scripts of any of
>   the distributions.

>   This is IMHO very problimatic. While LANA will presumably assign all the
>   standard init script names like cron and gpm and so on to the obvious and
>   correct daemons (and indeed there is a long list of pre-assigned names like
>   that in the usb), it limits debian's flexability, and it means that if a
>   developer wants to make a package with some wild and strange and little known
>   daemon[1], they would have to apply to LANA first, or give the script the
>   disgusting named "debian.org-<foo>" or Debian would become LSB-non-compliant
>   again. Yuck. This is IMHO the worst intrustion into the distribution's
>   territory by the LSB. They should have just required LSB init scripts be
>   prefixed with lsb- ...

Does the LSB allow vendors to depend on being able to invoke those startup
scripts using LANA names?  If not -- if, e.g., the only place LSB packages
will be calling the startup scripts directly will be in the maintainer scripts
-- then it's a simple scripting matter to rewrite the names of those startup
scripts at the time of installation so that we /can/ use lsb-* for the script
names.  May not be the intention of the spec's authors, but it would be a
reasonably pragmatic solution.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer