Re: real LSB compliance

On Sun, Jul 01, 2001 at 02:07:38PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Joey Hess wrote:
> > It'd be rather nice if we could get unstable and/or an apt repository
> > set up to easily make debian fully LSB compliant, soonish. Realistic?
>
> Ignoring the library versioning stuff, the only obvious points of
> incompatability that could not be easily dealt with by a lsb.deb are are:
>
> * LSB requires that user bin have uid and gid 1 (why?). On my box anyway,
>   daemon is uid 1, and bin is 2.
> * LSB says that if a "operator" user exists, it should be in group root.
>   We have a group "operator" instead.
> * LSB says that nobody's group should be called "nobody", while we have
>   "nogroup". Bah.

All ugh.  If we care enough, we could change these, I expect... but
it'd be a pain, and IMHO not worthwhile.

> * LSB requires bash as the shell, and allow use of at least some bashisms.
>   Well, that's default in debian, but it's trivial these days to install ash
>   and make it the default shell. Does this mean that debian violates the LSB?

If the LSB is going to go to the extent of specifying a new name for
the DYNAMIC LINKER to enforce LSB compatibility, it had damn well
better specify a name (preferably bash, rather than some new one) for
the shell.  Requiring /bin/sh = bash is hopelessly short-sighted.  If
they really do mandate that, I'm going to encourage Debian in some
deliberate non-compliance.

> * LSB defines runlevels, while we define 2-5 identically by default.
>     2 multiuser with no network services exported
>     3 normal/full multiuser
>     4 reserved for local use, default is normal/full multiuser
>     5 multiuser with xdm or equivalent

This would be a good thing for us to pick up, I think.

> * LSB init scripts have these "facility names" in them, which specify when
>   the script may be run in the init sequence. Examples:
>     $local_fs   all local filesystems are mounted
>     $network    low level networking (ethernet card; may imply PCMCIA running)
>     $named      named is operational
>   While this doesn't directly conflict with debian style numbered init
>   scripts, if we support the LSB we will need a way to tell when these
>   faclities are present so that whatever runs the lsb init scripts can do so.
>   Or we can just run all lsb init scripts last in the boot sequence. :-P

I'm with that :)  LSB things can't depend otherwise on the order of the
system's initialization, can they?  Unless you expect to have some
system services depend on them; for instance a VPN package.  But I
doubt the standard covers the framework for that anyway.