Re: /etc getting big

: > Why can't the X11 applications use a file from /etc/X11
: > if it's there and otherwise default to the /usr/lib/X11/app-defaults
: > directory?
:
: Because Xt isn't written that way.

: You always have the option of not installing the packages that use
: them.

I selected a `development' metapackage and got 355984 bytes Ddd :-)
Other highlights include, 16147 Fig, 15079 BibView, 15666 Xedit, 60380
XF86Cfg.

The problem here is that I'd like to keep a floppy around with the
/etc directories & package lists of the five PC's under my control
(all slightly different) containing essential configurations,
but not all that stuff.

If other Debian users have the same problem, it might be possible
to ask the XFree people to change libXt so that apps so something
like:

   fd = open("/etc/X11/app-defaults/myapp",O_RDONLY);
   if (fd == -1)
       fd = open("/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/myapp",O_RDONLY);

I'm sure it's not that easy and there's configuration involved and
such. I haven't checked against the sources as the source package
is just short of 50 MB.

Just a suggestion but I'm sure it might help some admins around.

Regards,

Claus

--
Claus Fischer <claus.fischer@clausfischer.com>