Re: php4 not in testing

On Friday 08 June 2001 23:26, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > > I have to make a list of known working configurations somewhere.
> > > This is really starting to annoy me. Probably only option will be
> > > to link everything staticaly. And into one big libphp4.so to be on
> > > the safe side.
> >
> > Why is this?  Why can't it just work?
>
> In the past, a big issue with PHP modules was that some of them
> depended on libs that were compiled with pthreads, and being loaded by
> an application (Apache) which was not.  Is this possibly related to the
> current problem?

My understanding is that there is no such thing as "compiling with
pthreads" on Linux (unlike BSD).  It seems that if you link with
"-lpthread" then it will link in the thread safe versions of library
calls such as fwrite() etc.

I just did a quick test before writing this message.  I wrote a program
which did nothing but call fputc() in a loop 10M times.  It took 1.1s
when linked without -lpthread and 5.2s when linked with -lpthread due to
thread locking code that is presumably being compiled in.

I doubt that Apache does any significant amount of calls to fputc() or
other areas in which the non-pthread version of the library offers any
real benefit.  Is there any reason for not simply compiling Apache with
-lpthread all the time?

> > The current state of PHP4 is very fragile, if there is any viable
> > alternative then I think that we should not release software in that
> > state.  PHP3 is a very viable alternative and works fine.  It seems
> > that most PHP software will with with either version.
>
> It's not a viable option for me, I'm afraid...  I'm looking to migrate
> some webhosting servers to Debian, but we (and our customers) have code
> that makes heavy use of PHP4's enhanced language features.

Currently I am looking at configuring two instances of Apache on one of
my servers.  There will be a PHP4 instance and a PHP3 instance.  The PHP3
instance will have SSL, Postgres, MySQL, etc, and I'll add new features
there when they are requested.  The PHP4 instance will have the bare
minimum of functionality and I will be extremely reluctant to add new
features.