Re: Mozilla NMU (Kitame, *please* read!)

On Sat, Jun 09, 2001 at 04:34:28PM +0100, Robert McQueen wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 09, 2001 at 11:08:40PM +0900, Junichi Uekawa wrote:
> > Why can't we just have the uncrippled version in non-US?
>
> Two reasons, generally. Firstly, because that's not what the maintainer
> wants to do, and secondly, because he (and I agree with him) doesn't
> want konqueror to be the only GUI browser available on CDs of main
> (assuming non-US is not distributed with it for whichever local reason).
> Galeon, Skipstone, Nautilus, Light, etc, would all have to go to non-US
> if Mozilla did, and that'd suck.

why would it suck.  you are fond of saying it would but i don't see
any reasons to back it up.

> > That's what people want.
> > Who would use a non-PSM version anyway?
>
> The idea behind putting a non-crypto version of Mozilla into main now is
> to resolve the conflict which has people cursing Myth's name across the
> world, and rallying support behind anyone who has Mozilla packages. The
> next step would be to make sure PSM was available in non-US as an add-on
> or replacement package, especially if the crypto ruling turns out
> negative.

as i recall Myth said monthes ago he wasn't going to upload a crypto
crippled mozilla because he knew that nobody wanted it and all it
would do is piss them off.  he is correct, nobody wants a crippled
mozilla so don't waste our time and result in more cursing of names.

as for a crypto ruling RSN(TM) yeah well that been being said for over
6 monthes now.

its time to stop talking and making excuses, its time to just upload
mozilla to non-US and continue with efforts to break psm into its own
module that can live in non-US, IF that is even possible.  (and i have
my doubts especially since its supposedly been attempted for monthes
and monthes now).

what i really don't want to see happen, and im sure i will if this
misguided venture goes forward is we will get our crippled mozilla in
main, nothing in non-US and another six monthes of `yes yes psm
modules in non-US are coming RSN(TM) just wait a few more yea^H^H^Hmon^H^H^Hweeks.................

cynical?  perhaps but then look at the current version of mozilla in
main, but its in main and not awful ghetto non-US so we can live with
it!. </sarcasm>

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/