Re: Mozilla NMU (Kitame, *please* read!)

On Sat, Jun 09, 2001 at 05:42:23AM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:
> keep in mind that these (mozilla, nautilus, galeon et al) are large
> packages and should get a decent ammount of time to live in
> unstable/testing so they can, well, be tested and get stabilized for
> when woody finally becomes stable.  at the rate we are going that is
> not going to happen.

I thoroughly agree. That is why a non-crypto Mozilla should be uploaded
to main ASAP so that it and the other packages can be thoroughly tested
and stabilised in good time. The re-addition of crypto to either main or
non-US is a relatively minor change and can be done later on.

> IMNSHO crypto removed mozilla packages would be USELESS.  sorry but
> thats how i and i am sure many others feel about it, crypto is
> absolutly necessary for many people.  if crypto can't go in main then
> just upload the damn thing to non-US and be done with it, PLEASE.  as
> far as CD makers go, given the current crypto regulations they might
> already be allowed to distrubute CDs anyway, im not really sure and
> frankly i don't really care, they should move to canada or some other
> nation with less retarded laws.
>
> ideally mozilla could have its crypto componant split cleanly off and
> put in non-US, but if that can't be done in a reasonable ammount of
> time or without rendering mozilla buggy/broken then DON'T BOTHER, just
> upload the whole damn thing to non-US.

After uploading a non-crypto mozilla to main and removing the threat of
any NMUs and such, the next step would of course be to ensure that
crypto is available, either in a replacement package in non-US or so, or
ideally as you say, a PSM package that can be built and uploaded
seperately. Either way, it will get done, be made available, be
explained in the README.Debian, and will not result in breaking Mozilla.
The PSM breakage at the moment will be the same if it's built
with or seperately from Mozilla, and is more likely a libnspr problem as
I said.

> theres my rant for the day.

Excellent. I hope you can see that this is a more reasonable compromise
that will result in everything being resolved by release time, and in
the mean time letting people get on with their testing and packaging of
Mozilla-dependers.

> --
> Ethan Benson who thinks debian should just move the entire archive to non-US
> http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/

Regards,
Rob

p.s. Please CC: replies to me, I'm not on devel yet... no mail filters.
=)