Re: APT : Packages file to large to download everytime.

On Fri, Jun 08, 2001 at 06:08:36AM +0100, Edward Betts wrote:
> Viral <viral@debian.org> wrote:
> > This has been brought up many times before. The APT packages file is just
> > too large to download everytime during an apt-get update.
>
> I was not aware that Debian package files had been renamed APT packages file.

I refered to them as APT files, in reference to apt being generally used
to download those. But yes, I meant the debian package files.

> Good idea, you can look at cvs.debian.org for some of the code that you will
> need to modify to generate incremental package files.

Why can't we just use diff+patch ? Using that, we could have something
called apt-incremental, thus avoiding adding extra dependencies on apt.

Well, on an unrelated issue, what do folks think of the idea of
apt-gnutella or apt-freenet ?
Then, one would get the Packages file from one of the debian mirrors,
but the packages could be got from a P2P network such as gnutella or freenet.
With debsig-verify falling into place, and packages being signed, one could
then trust debs from such a network.

> What key do we use to sign it? If there is a Debian security key who looks
> after it? How do we make sure it is not compromised? If we sign the package
> files with it do we attempt automated signing, or does there have to be human
> interaction with every run of dinstall?

If this was to be done, I would believe it might be a good idea for James
Troup to sign it, since he's also the maintainer of debian-keyring..
Human interaction would be infeasible with every run of dinstall, and hence
automated signing would have to be used, unless there is a better alternative.

> I look forward to seeing your patches.

I am looking out for ideas right now, as I'm not too free. But that should
change in a couple of weeks, and I'll have a time to try out some
of the things I mentioned. I would definitely like to try apt-gnutella
or apt-freenet, but I'd like to know what others think about it, or if
anyone is working on similar lines.

viral

--
"There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark."